Ask Me 2020

Ask Me Ambassadors' Guide


Police/Ambulance/Fire Brigade

Emergency number: 999

Campus Security/Crisis Team

Gilmorehill: +44 (0) 141 330 4444 (4444 from an internal phone)
Garscube: +44 (0) 141 330 2222 (2222 from an internal phone)

The Crisis Team are available 24/7 via security.

See the Emergency and Crisis Support page for more information.

Finding Buildings and Rooms

Get the Roomfinder App

Campus Maps

Important Locations on Campus

View the Campus Map

Accommodation Services

Face-to-face enquiries: Student Services Enquiry Desk, Level 2 of the Fraser Building [Map: E2]

Tel: 0141 330 4743

Counselling & Psychological Services

67 Southpark Avenue [Map: E12] 

Disability Service

65 Southpark Avenue [Map: E12] 

The Hunterian

Tuesday to Saturday 1000 - 1700
Sundays 1100 - 1600 
Closed on Mondays

Admission: Free - show student Campus Card 

The IT Helpdesk

IT Helpdesk is located in the Library, Level 4 Annexe.

The Library

The Library is at the top of the hill on Hillhead Street, next to the Fraser Building [Map: D11]
Open: 07:15 - 02:00, 361 days of the year
Once you have your Campus Card you are automatically a member of the Library. Staff at the Welcome Desk on Level 2 are there to help. 

Lost Property

For general lost propery, visit the Main Gatehouse [Map: A21]

For lost campus cards, visit the Student Services Enquiry Desk, Level 2, The Fraser Building [Map: E2]


Stevenson Building [Map: E6] 

SRC Welcome Point

Ground floor, McIntyre Building, next to the University Main Gate [Map: A22]

Reach Out

In the Library [Map: D11], the Fraser Building [Map: E2] and online at UofG Helpdesk.

SRC Advice Centre

McIntyre Building [Map: A22]

Student Services Enquiry Team

Level 2, The Fraser Building [Map: E2]



Registration and Enrolment

Where can I get help with Registration?

For general registration guidance see and the UofG Helpdesk Knowledge Base.

For in-person assistance, visit the Student Services Enquiry Team desk in the Fraser Building (Map: E2).

If you have a specific enquiry please raise a UofG Helpdesk service request.

Where can I get help with Enrolment?

For general enrolment guidance see and the UofG Helpdesk Knowledge Base.

For in-person assistance, visit your School or College office.

If you have a specific enquiry please raise a UofG Helpdesk service request.

Registration and Enrolment for Study Abroad & Exchange students:


Where do I get my Campus Card?

Home/EU students: Monday 13 January 2020

Level 1, Fraser Building
09:00 - 16:30

International students: Monday 13 January 2020

McMillan Reading Room
09:00 - 16:30

After Monday 13 January 2020, cards will be available for collection from the Student Services Desk on Level 2 Fraser Building.

I have lost my Campus Card.

Go to the Student Services desk in the Fraser Building to see if it has been handed in. If not, you should purchase a replacement at the Student Services desk or through MyCampus, following these instructions. The card will be ready to collect from the Student Services desk the next working day. 

There is a charge of £10 for a replacement card, unless you can provide evidence that your card has expired, been damaged or been stolen. More details

Where do I register my visa? (New students only)

Monday 13 January 2020, 09:00-16:30: McMillan Reading Room (E1 on the Campus Map). if you arrive late, and your school permits you to start late, you can complete Visa Registration later during this week.

If you are starting your studies in February 2020 or after, please complete Visa Registration at:

Student Services Enquiry Desk, Level 2, Fraser Building (E2 on the Campus Map), between 09:00-12:00 and 14:00-16:00.

  • If you are collecting your BRP from us, you will need to book an appointment (you will complete Visa Registration at the same time). We will send you the link to the booking system after we receive your BRP.
  • If you have already collected your BRP from the Post Office, please bring your passport and BRP.
  • If you do not require a BRP (e.g. if you are studying in Glasgow for only one semester), please bring your passport containing your visa vignette or entry stamp.
  • If you have immigration permission in a non-student category, please bring your passport/travel document and your BRP or other immigration status document. If you are not sure what to bring as proof of your immigration status, please email us.
  • If you do not have your passport and/or BRP because you are awaiting the outcome of a visa application, please see below ("Evidence of a visa application") for information on what you can provide to complete Visa Registration.

You only require an appointment if you are collecting a BRP from the University. All other students should attend Visa Registration during the above opening times.

More details at:

When do I check-in my visa? (Continuing students only)

Main Campus McMillan Reading Room Tuesday 14 January - Friday 24 January 0900 - 1630
Dumfries Campus

School Office, Rutherford/McCowan Building

Tuesday 14 January - Friday 24 January 1000 - 1600
Dental School School Office, Level 5 Monday 13 January - Friday 17 January 1000 - 1600
Garscube Campus Dumgoyne Room, Level 2, McCall Building Wednesday 22 January 0930 - 1230
SUERC Administration Office Tuesday 14 January - Friday 24 January Confirm with Admin Office

More details at:


Health and Advice

I need a doctor or dentist

Register with a local doctor or dentist:

Barclay Medical Practice is an on-campus surgery based in the Fraser Building (Map: E2).

I need advice

The SRC Advice Centre offers free and confidential advice to students. (Map: A22)

They can advise on:

  • Finances
  • Housing
  • Employment rights
  • Academic appeals
  • Complaints
  • Bullying and harrassment

Computing, Banking and Transport

How do I connect to Wi-Fi?

Connect to “flexaccess” and go to: Use the auto-installer to add settings. Use your student email address and GUID password to log in.

Where can I use a computer?

There are central computer clusters in the Main Library Levels 1 - 8 and 10 and the McMillan Round Reading Room. Colleges also have computer clusters.

Where can I print?

There are MFDs (Multi-Functional Devices) on Levels 2 - 8 and Level 10 of the Library and two in the McMillan Round Reading Room. You can buy printing credits via MyPrinting on MyGlasgow or at kiosks in the Library.

More guidance on printing is available at

Where is there an ATM?

Where can I find a bank?

Santander, RBS, Clydesdale, TSB- all on Byres Road
Bank of China- 450 Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow, G2 7JD
HSBC- 2 Buchanan Street, Glasgow, Scotland, G1 3LB

Where can I get a bus or subway into town?

The main subway for the University is Hillhead station on Byres Road. Kelvinhall and Kelvinbridge stations are more convenient for some locations.

Bus services along University Avenue are First 4 and 4A.

The main buses along Great Western Road are the 6/6A, on Byres Road the 8 and 90, and on Dumbarton Road the 2, 3, 17 and 77.


Where can I eat on campus?

Places to eat on campus:

Social & Welcome Events

UofG Welcome App

Download the UofG Welcome App for event updates.

Freshers' Week

All Freshers' Week events will be listed on and

International Student Welcome

The Welcome Programme aimes to help new international students during the arrival period. The Welcome Desk will be set up on Level 1 of the Fraser Building, Wednesday 8 January - Friday 10 January, from 09:00-17:00.

International Student Orientation

The International Orientation programme is open to all new undergraduate and postgraduate students from outside the UK who have been accepted to University of Glasgow from January 2020.

The programme will begin on 9 January. Places are limited, so students wishing to participate should register online before 15 December.

More information and the full programme is available at

Sport Activities

Details of all events and activities are listed online at:


Where are the Student Organisations?

How to Get Involved

Expectations of Ambassadors

  1. Wear your "Ask Me" badge at all times on your outer layer of clothing
  2. Be friendly, smile and try to answer students' questions
  3. Use the guide above to support your "Ask Me" Ambassador activities
  4. If you don't know the answer to a student's enquiry, direct them to Reach Out.
  5. Enjoy the buzzing atmsophere of Campus!
  6. Report your feedback during and after the campaign has finished via the "Ask Me" Yammer Group